Friday, January 11, 2008

Back to Bethel

Today Matt showed me around his alma mater Bethel College of Indiana. I'd heard so much about this place, so many stories etc, and I've known for so long that it's a place where Matt went though so many very formative experiences (sometimes for the better, sometimes not) that I was very excited to see the place.

This morning, we met Dr. Kathy Gribbin, Bethel's dean of students and an old adviser and confidant of Matt's at a South Bend pancake resturaunt for some good conversation and "catching up" ... I didn't know all of the people they were talking about, but I did know some, and felt good being around Kathy again. She was very gracious. Later, we met up with her again in her office, where I took this photo of Matt and Kathy:



Bethel is a college of the Missionary Church, which has its roots in Mennonite Anabaptist protestantism and the evangelical movement. It is a very international church, with most of its congregations and members located outside of the US. There is a heavy emphasis on evangelism and the spreading of the Church's doctrine.




From the preamble to the Church's constitution:

...the Missionary Church will be better understood by the reader who recognizes that a singular commitment of our early leaders was to the position that the Scriptures were to be the primary source of doctrine and life. In addition to this commitment to be a biblical church, we recognize the contribution of John Wesley's emphasis on "the warmed heart"; A.B. Simpson's fourfold emphasis on Jesus Christ as Savior, Sanctifier, Healer and Coming King; the Anabaptist concepts of community and brotherhood; the evangelical emphases of the lost estate of mankind and redemption through Jesus Christ. The Missionary Church, then, is a unique blend of the thought and life of a people who have sought to build their church according to Scriptures and who have appreciated their historical roots.
(more at Wikipedia)

After a tour of the campus, we stopped by Ashli Hepler's tree, a tree recently dedicated to the memory of one of Matt's college friends who died of cancer this year. Ashli's death weighed heavily on Matt while we were at Holden, and seeing this tree was just another reminder for me of the kind of connections we all have to the places were we've lived and loved. Here is Matt by the tree:



The biblical Bethel is the place named by Jacob in the book of Genesis. It's the place where he falls asleep and has his famous vision of the ladder to heaven, with its descending/ascending streams of angels. It's a "thin place" where the usual boundaries between worlds are minimized, and pathways open.


(John August Swanson, the Dream of Jacob)

Of the several promises that God (who is standing at the top of the ladder in the dream) makes to Jacob in the dream, there is one that stands out for me today as I think of walking around this place with Matt:

[I] ... will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you. (Genesis 28:15)

Today we came back to Matt's own land of Bethel. Something in me tells me that these "lands" -- all of our own personal places -- draw us back for particular reasons: because they are home, because they explain things about us, because they have become part of our own selves. Or maybe it is we who are not done with these places -- perhaps we have unresolved business, new hope, and new conversations to undertake in them. In any case, it was good to be here today to see a part of Matt's past and present. It felt somehow promising.

MP

3 comments:

JWH said...

Now this post really inspired me. I'm glad that you two are having such a rich experience visiting Matt L's old haunts. I've been struggling to find meaning and hope in my current situation. I'm back living with my parents in Fairfield, IA for 3 1/2 months, and many days I wonder what the hell I'm doing here. I mean, other than establishing a semblance of permanent residency and having strange dreams and flashbacks about my gay ex-boyfriend from high school.

Some parts of my stay have seemed Providential, or at least "Something more" than coincidental. My dad fell on ice on New Year's eve and badly fractured both bones in his lower right leg. He's going to be fine, but his recovery will be very slow. I'm now primary caregiver, house remodeler (to accomodate him and his walker), and crossword puzzle consultant. This role brings up some unresolved issues from my past, but for the most part, I'm really glad that I'm able to be here for him. I really don't think that God works this way, but if there's ever a good time to totally shatter your leg bones, wouldn't it be while you're housing your unemployed, former caregiver daughter?

Anyway, I feel like I'm rambling, but I wanted to say that your reflection gave me hope for my own situation, so thanks. I hope that we will all continue to find meaning, love and connection in the places that call us back.

Bethany said...

As I was reading this post (now I'm REALLY into this blog world) I was wondering if there was a way to comment...and found one already existing from our good friend. So this is this online community you've been telling me about, huh Matt P?

I also was inspired by this entry. Mostly because I love you both so much, and I'm thankful to be able to somehow share in these meaningful days with you.

Matt Perry said...

Joy and Bethany!

It's so great that you are reading this. Both MattL and I miss you alot. I'm writing this from Matt's family's living room. Matt is in the other room doing his Spanish exercises. Larry and Gundula are coming over today for dinner and to sleep over.

We'll put a post up about their visit.

Thinking of you!