Friday, December 28, 2007

Little Parts of Ourselves

We leave parts of ourselves behind. I've been feeling this intensely since leaving Holden, which now seems a bit like another world. Right now, in the embrace and care of family, with a totally new set of surroundings, it's been difficult to feel connected to either where I've just come from, or where I'm yet to go.

That's why I need Jenna in my life. Jenna my dear office mate, who got to endure my moods (good and bad) over the last year ... we did lots of laughing together, and she helped me quite a bit with a particular problem: my rather disgusting habit of accumulating coffee cups around my desk. Jenna emailed the other day with news from Holden Village, including the following:

"I've passed through the craft cave a few times since you left and
everytime i left i would think of you because there was a to-go coffee
cup right by the door. then i started to think... hmm... that looks
familiar... is that matt perry's frikkin mug? matt perry. i feel like
your forgotten mugs will be with us for years to come. a surprising
gift indeed."

We leave little parts of ourselves behind, it is true. I just wish Jenna didn't have to clean them up. Here's my girl with the offending receptacle:



-MP

2 comments:

Patrick said...

I was saddened to see my "gift" left behind. Of course I gave it to Matt because of his cup issues. Sighs. Guess I know what to give him for his NEXT birthday.

JWH said...

I can't tell you how it cheers me to see a little piece of MYSELF, my ugly (at least it was on me) old green hat, on Matt Perry's head! I miss you both!